Later History of the Congregation

The young people of the congregation joined the Walther League under the supervision of Teacher Lorenz around 1922.  The introduction of English worship services twice a month began in 1923.  A number of English communion services were held each year by resolution of the congregation in April of 1931.  During the ministry Rev. E J Salesak, the large English hymnal was introduced together with the Common Order of Service.

St Salvator congregation celebrated its 90th anniversary in 1832, and the Centennial services were help on September 20 and 27 in 1942 under the leadership of Pastor Saleska.  The last German worship service was held in the late 1940’s.  A Sunday School was organized in 1947 under the directon of Pastor Karl Schroeder.  A Dorcas Lutheran Womens Misionary League was organized in 1962 while Joesph Schlichting was pastor.

A dual parish was formed with Saint Peter Lutheran Church in New Memphis during a vacancy in both of the congregations in 1960.  Rev. Joseph Schlichting was the first pastor to serve this dual parish.  He was installed on January 8, 1961.  The 125th anniversary was held in October, 1967, with Theodore Dautenhahn and John Saleska as speakers.  Rev. Walter Symank served the congregation as vacancy pastor.  David Block served as a student pastor during the vacancy.  A call was extended to Eldon Winker, and he was installed on July 20, 1969.  In 1973 he accepted the call to Mountain Home, Arkansas.  On Palm Sunday Dale Meyer was installed.  Later he accepted a position at Concordia Seminary in St. Louis.  His farewell sermon was delivered on April 26, 1981.  On May 3, 1981, Richard Smith was installed as pastor.  He accepted a call to Cleveland, Tenn,, and his farewell sermon was on April 29, 1984.  Rev. Glenn Thomas served as vacancy pastor.  On January 6, 1985, David Flectcher was ordaned and installed as pastor.  He retired on March 1, 2009.  On May 17 of that year Arthur Eichhorn was ordained and installed as the current pastor.

in 1992 the congregation celebrated its sesquicentennial anniversary with guest speakers John Saleska, Eldon Winker, Glen Thomas and Dale Meyer.  In 1972 children began lighting the candles for worship services.  In 1975 the organ was renovated.  In 1976 the congregation began to hold an annual chicken dinner on Father’s Day.  In 1977 the school building was remodeled with the addition of two rest rooms.  n August 20, 1978, new church bells were dedicated.  In 1979 the congregation began training field workers from Concordia Seminary in St. Louis.  Also in that year, many of the official records of the congregation were placed on microfilm at the Historical Building in Nashville.  In 1980 a fund was established to help parents send their children to Immanuel Lutheran School in Okawville.  The minutes of the church were translated from German into English, and the new front entrance and remodeled sacristy were dedicated on November 30.  The work on a nativity scene for the inside of the church was completed for Christmas.